Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

Let's GET this STARTED SYTYCD!


On June 9th, So You Think You Can Dance introduced the top 20. They also said that when they get to the top 10, they will bring back some ALL-STARS! COOL!

I won't go too much into the introduction, but I have to just state that my early favorites are: Chris the Hip-Hopper and Jordan the Jazz dancer, Nick the tapper (yes a tapper!), Marko a Contemporary dancer and Ryan, another Contemporary dancer. Each dancer performed in their own style, then in either an all girls or an all boys routine-both amazing! THEN there was a TOP 20 GROUP routine! I love that everyone gets to dance so many times before any eliminations. It is gonna be competitive this year, everyone is so good!

Three judges tonight: Nigel, Mary, and (surprise...Megan Muhlally)...she was a dancer-little did I know.

The first performance was Tadd and Jordan dancing a Sean Cheesman African Jazz routine. I normally don't like this style because of the music (shallow, I know), but this song wasn't too bad. Jordan was pretty powerful but she lost a little bit of steam as she went on. Tadd, I think could have been a little stronger and more full-out. The routine was decent, but not super memorable. The judges seemed to like it.

#2 Contemporary dance choreographed by Travis Wall (I LOVE HIM), danced by Sasha and Alexander. (kind of unfair-2 Contemporary dancers dancing IN THEIR style). I expected them to be good because of this, but then I was preparing to be dissappointed because I was expecting them to be soo good and actually it was pretty good. I believed her emotion, but not his as much... She was awesome, very good. The judges agreed with my comments.

#3 Clarice and Jess dancing a Tyce Diorio Broadway. Not my favorite style, either. Another music thing, I guess. Another sort of un-fair advantage since Jess is a Broadway dancer and not everyone is a cheeseball. This style just seems over the top and disingenious-like fake-ish. I had never heard this Liza Minnelli song. Another non-memorable one for me. The judges loved it, ugh.

#4 Ryan (a girl, by the way) and Ricky..dancing to a Christopher Scott Lyrical Hip Hop routine. Christopher Scott is sort of new to the show but I LOVE his work so far. It was to a new version of "Aint no Sunshine"...love that song. Ryan was a funky little white girl, I was plesantly suprised! I could really see the emotion out of her. Ricky was pretty decent too! This is the first dance that I watched 3 times. (I warned you that I was a dance nerd).

#5 Caitlynn and Mitchell dancing a Sonya Tayek Jazz routine. Mitchell got hurt at the last minute-so Robert (from last season filled in). She did great especially for having a partner change at the last minute. She nailed Sonya's routine and style! It was an A+ from the judges.

#6 Miranda and Robert doing the jive from Jason Gilkinson. I think that ballroom is so hard for "normal" dancers. I think the two of them did a really good job. They were given characters, a nerd and a sexy girl, which helped. The audience and the judges seemed to really like it too.

#7 Missy and Wadi doing a Jazz dance by Sean Cheesman. It was interesting...it was to a Lady Gaga song, that I have heard before-I think. There were some great moments and there was some points that were out of sync. The end, where Wadi was doing some of that Parkour-tumbling and flipping stuff. However, I think to hang in this year, I think it ALL has to be perfect.

#8 Melanie and Marko with another Travis Wall (sigh) Contemporary dance (another 2 that got the same style as they are). I liked how they were very much in sync. They were statues, and that was neat. This Marko guy (a great call of mine as an early favorite) did really well! This dance made Mary cry. Hmm.

#9 Chris (an early fave) and Ashley dancing to a Christopher Scott-Hip Hop. Okay, the story was a bit weird, like a boyfriend and girlfriend cheating on each other. Despite that he was SOOO good and she struggled to keep up with him a bit. They both were good to keep up with the characters. The judges had all good things to say.

#10 Iveta and Nick (probably matched together for height)...they got ballroom-her speciality, by Jason Gilkinson. I am not a ballroom expert...but I thought it was fun and he looked like he knew what he was doing.

I guess that my favorite was the Lyrical Hip-Hop and my least favorite was either the Broadway or the African Jazz routine, even though one of my favorite girls was in it. I have no idea who will be eliminated. Usually at this stage there is someone that I am MAD about them being in the top-but not the case here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment